GiGi's View of the World

Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving is a time for families, young and old, near and far to join together and celebrate life with each other. Thank God this is one holiday that marketing hasn't found a way to ruin. Sometimes these family traditions are hard to celebrate when families live so far apart, such as mine. So we make do with tons of phone calls, quick, fast and action packed visits crammed with way too many activities. But always in coming home, I feel the love that I missed on a daily basis in regards to hugs, kisses and physical familial contact.

Recently when I called home, my "Mommie" told me she was writing a poem so I asked her to read it to me. Between giggles and tears I asked if I could have a copy to share with my friends. It looks lengthy but give it a read and see if there is something there that you also feel at this special time of year.

Thanksgiving Memories

I miss those years of long ago when our children were still at home.
There was no loud MTV nor constant ringing of a phone.
Name-brand clothing didn't matter, our kids' shoes were made mostly of leather.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner were great because we prayed and ate together.

Most joyous of all were holiday meals, planned several days ahead and studying recipes,
grocery shoppping to make sure everyone would be well fed.
Ah, Thanksgiving Day, that happy day which family holds so dear,
when beloved parents, grandparents and all travel far and near.

To join our home in festivities, nieces and nephews playing with our kids.
The men conversing in the livingroom while we women rattled pans and lids.
Old Tom Turkey was baked, veggies were steaming in my big iron pot and as I carried a pumpkin pie to the dessert table, my lil one asked "Mommie, whatcha got"?

Within an hour we were seated, holding hands in a thankful prayer,
then reverence was respectfully broken when Daddy yelled, "I'm hungry as a bear"!
Needless to say there was vast commotion when to each hand was passed a bowl,
youngsters gobbled mashed potatoes, yams and corn as one pleaded "Please pass another roll".

Tummies were filled with the gourmet meal topped with homemade pie,
dishes were done, we ladies laughed as the men rubbed their bellies with a sigh.
But all good things come to an end, with tearful eyes we bid them farewell
hoping to share another Thanksgiving that only Time could tell.

As I sit here reminiscing of those days gone by-children grown-those wondrous years,
my hand clasps a kleenex, I dab my eyes, but I'm shedding happy tears
For around the corner lurks another Thanksgiving to share with one another,
only THIS time the children will welcome US as precious grandfather and grandmother!

So for all of you so far from your loved ones, Here’s to You!!!!

And to my parents, I LOVE YOU!!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lonnie, that was beautiful, thanks so much for sharing it. I had a really small family totalled 9 both parents were an only child. This reminded me of those Thanksgivings and Christmas as well. My grandparents spent the night on Christmas Eve and we all played scrabble together and had a blueberry muffin for breakfast...couldn't spoil our appitites. *grin* Hugs and thanks.Sue

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said :-)

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another teary eyed comment. What a beautiful poem. Thank you Gigi's Mom. I share your thoughts of Holidays gone by. My (our) Thanksgiving Dinner was rather small as far as family goes, since now i live in very cramped senior housing, there is no dining room table for us to gather around. But it did not stop the joy my daughters and i shared bumping into each other in my tiny tiny kitchen. Mist you always talk about building memories, this experience adds another memory to my journal. Thank God for family, they don't give a hoot about cramped quarters as long as Momma/Auntie (nephew and his family joined us for dinner) cooked the turkey and stuffing.
    Thank you Mist for sharing Mom's poem with us. Amelia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home